Friday, February 28, 2020

Week 7 Story: Apartment 4D

Jess had had it. It was exhausting. Living with three other dudes was mentally draining. To add to the misery, Coach was moving back in, so make that four dudes. Nick, Schmidt and Winston were so excited to have their old friend back. Jess was at her breaking point though, she was thinking of moving out and running away to another city. She was in between jobs, teaching wasn't going too great for her at the moment. Her best friend Cece was thinking of moving back home to India, so she really had no roots keeping her in the city of Los Angeles. Jess and Nick had long broken up, so she certainly didn't have a boyfriend holding her back. Jess was thinking of moving back to Portland, where all her family lived, her mom, dad and sister, Abby.

It was time to tell the boys that she was leaving. As Jess rounded up everyone in the living room, she began to think over the past memories she had in this loft, and felt a little emotional. All the guys staggered in, really confused what was going on. Nick and Schmidt were bickering about something stupid, as usual, and Winston still was looking for his cat, Ferguson. In a panic, Jess started rambling on and on about a bird she saw earlier that day, nervous to tell everyone she was leaving. Back to Portland she goes. All the guys were shocked, but that wore all quick as everyone started screaming at once. No one wanted her to go, it was something they hadn't seen coming. Jess started telling them how she didn't feel like she belonged anywhere anymore. The guys were all so upset at this news, telling Jess in their different ways that she was a vital part of the loft and their friendship. At this news, Jess started crying and decided maybe all the stress of living with these boys could have been worth it. She just didn't see what was right in front of her.

Author's Note: As I was thinking of what to write for this story, New Girl, the tv show, popped up on tv and I was instantly hooked. I have loved that show for a long time, so I wanted to rewrite it with Indian Epics elements wrapped into it. Instead of running away from the losing battle, Jess is running away from her battle of being the only girl living in an apartment with four dudes. Her final argument, aka battle, was with the guys after they found out she was thinking of leaving. I only took the general plot from the original story and made my own version of what I think that learning opportunity would be if told now days.

Source: Duryodhana in the Lake from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie

 File:Newman Brothers Coffin Factory (17018072987).jpg
(Apartment 4D: wikimedia)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Anna! I LOVE New Girl, I binge-watched it for the first time during finals week sophomore year (not my brightest idea), haha. I liked how you explained in your Authors Note that even tv shows we may not think of can have the same moral dilemmas and ideas from the Indian Epics we read. I think you did a wonderful job of portraying the concept of escaping battle in the scene from New Girl! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna!
    What a great story and happy ending! If I had to give a suggestion, I would really work on making the author's note more insightful to the original story. You can add specific plot elements or themes that you changed. I felt lost in the author's note trying to figure out and remember what story this was form. Overall, the writing was great, next time just expand on the development of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! I really like the writing in this story, and I thought the story itself was engaging. As someone who hasn't seen New Girl or heard a lot about it, I did not really get the references to it. But that makes sense - maybe I should watch the series? I would add more in the author's note for those of use missing out, but I still thought it was a good story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna! I think that retelling this story from New Girl was cool and interesting spin! I used to love New Girl and my favorite episode was the second episode where she goes with the boys to get her stuff from her ex. I also feel like this story could've been good with Draupadi too since she was the only wife of the Pandava brothers at the time. I think it would've been cool to see what it was like for her to be the only women living with a bunch of men too, like Jess. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Biography: A Second Chance

Being diagnosed with cancer is probably one of the most terrifying, and common, diseases that faces our society today. Relay for Life is an ...